Friday, December 16, 2011

Book Club!

My book club girls are so awesome.  I'm so thankful to have such an amazing group of friends that I get to see on a monthly (often more) basis.  We have been meeting since 2007!  The group has changed over the years and so have we.  We started out as a bunch of college girls and here we are now, all married and with babies.  Seventeen babies and two on the way to be exact!  If I counted the girls who have moved away or had to leave book club behind for other reasons that number would be even higher.

Talking, debating, laughing and growing with these women is one of the serious highlights of my life.  I am just amazed at what kind, strong, funny, smart and open-minded women these are.  I have learned so much from them and love each and every one of them to pieces.

This post has been a long time coming.  I have been MEANING to snap a photo of everyone for about 5 years now.  So thanks everyone for humoring me last night by letting me finally take one.  {Jess, I think your house might be haunted.  Every picture has a weird, white-ish fog across it.  Yikes.  :)} 

Thank you for your friendship.  I'm excited to see what the future holds for all of us!

Last night at our annual book club Christmas party we were talking all of the books we have read in the past.  It was sort of blowing my mind to think of all the book that have been read.  I've included the list below and highlighted my favorites from over the years. 

Anyone out there have any favorite books they have read in the past?  I'd love to hear!

2007 Book Club Selections:
January. Andrea's pick: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
February. Claire's pick: Bell Canto by Ann Patchett
March. Lisa's pick: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo
April. Liz's pick: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
May. A joint pick: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon
June. Emily's pick: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
July. Sarah's pick: The World's Shortest Stories edited by Steve Moss
August. Betsy's pick: A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana by Haven Kimmel
September. Megan's pick: The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
October. Marta's pick: Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
November. Marie's pick: The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty Birney
December. Book Exchange.

2008 Book Club Selections:
January. Whitney's pick: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
February. Marci's pick: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
March. E's pick: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
April. Karen's pick: Wake Up and Smell the Planet – The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day by Grist Magazine, Brangien Davis, and Katharine Wroth
May. Andrea's pick: The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands and/or Ten Stupid Things Women Do To Mess Up Their Lives by Dr. Laura Schlessinger
June. Claire's pick: Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiana
July. Lisa's pick: The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne
August. Liz's pick: Life of pi by Yann Martel
September. Emily's pick: Emma by Jane Austen
October. Sarah's pick: World War Z by Max Brooks
November. Jessica's pick: Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl
December: Book Exchange.

2009 Book Club Selections:
January. Karen's pick: Outlier's by Malcolm Gladwell
February. E's pick: The Guernesy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
March. Marci's pick: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
April. Liz's pick: Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rawandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza
May. Lisa's pick: The Princess Bride by William Goldman
June. Claire's pick: This I Believe edited by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman
July. Jessica's pick: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
August. Sarah's pick: {read-a-thon} Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
September. Whitney's pick: Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
October. Andrea's pick: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
November. Emily's pick: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Colllins
December. Book Exchange.

2010 Book Club Selections:
January. E's pick: Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
February. Claire's pick: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
March. Katrina's pick: Enchantment by Orson Scott Card
April. Emily's pick: Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
May. Starr's pick: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
June. Cancelled
July. Marci's pick: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
August. Liz's pick: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
September. Whitney's pick: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Grahme Smith
October. Jessica's pick: Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamists Wife by Irene Spencer
November. Anne's pick: Mr Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo
December. Book Exchange.

2011 Book Club Selections:
January. Starr's pick: Hector and The Search for Happiness by Francois LeLord
February. Summer's pick: The Glass Castle by by Jeannette Walls
March. Katrina's pick: The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd
April. Anne's pick: Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
May. Claire's pick: The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
June. Liz's pick: Matched by Ally Condie
July. Jessica's pick: Room by Emma Donoghue
August. Whit's pick: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer
September. Katie's pick: The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation by Elizabeth Berg
October. Andrea's pick: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
November. Liz F's pick: How to Love an American Man: A True Story by Kristine Gasbarre
December. Book Exchange.

Apparently 2011 was an awesome year for books because I really loved (or really loved discussing) them all!

9 comments:

kalie said...

I'm so glad you put up this post. I've read many of these, but a few I have not. I am always looking for good reads. I agree. Book clubs save my life.

Ty and Meg said...

Love the pictures. I so miss this book club. Hopefully I can rejoin someday.

Katrina said...

Three cheers for book club! And all these amazing ladies! Thanks for inviting me to be in it when I moved here, Andrea. Love you!

The McBrides said...

amen, love this group. thank you so much for including me way back when, I didn't realize when I began coming 4 years ago that it would end up being my life line... and it really truly is. love you girls! (and Meg I CANNOT WAIT for you to be come back again someday, its just not the same without you!)

Barb said...

I love my book club, too! It's funny, though, I'm younger by everyone in it by at least ten years. It's great to be in a book group with people that actually love to read.

Kate said...

LoVe my book club girls :)

Starr said...

Okay how cute are you! Bookclub is the highlight of my month too! We are so lucky.

Em said...

Even though I'm not there in person, hopefully I am I'm spirit. :) There has to be something said for being one of the o.g. Members, right?

You should all be so proud; my book club out here took my suggestion and we had a book exchange a few nights ago.

Wishing I was there instead of moving...boo.

uytyey said...

Customized women's leather jackets are supposed to north face jackets give you not just the perfect fit but also the perfect style and color that suits your taste. When you decide to have your jackets customized, Moncler Outlet you need to find the right maker who can do it well for you. You have to make sure that your jackets can be worn along with your other wardrobe for every occasion. The North Face Sale This will make you investment for customizing jackets very practical and cheaper in the long run.