Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pretend Vegans.

Well, we have been pretend vegans for 2 weeks now.  I say pretend because we are not vegans for the sake of the animals.  I mean, I DO love animals... in my stomach.  I strongly believe that animals should be eaten.  Often. 

I actually have owned this shirt since High School.

So really, we have no moral issue with the consumption of animal products.  Rather, we want to be less fat.  More healthy.  Less fat.  More conscious about what we are eating and where it came from.  Plus, I really like buying local, organic produce.  And less fat. 

We are also, for the most part, eating gluten free due to B's allergies.  GluFreeVe.  That's us.  So that pretty much removes anything delicious from my life and leaves me with carrots.
Even though I joke a bit about this whole thing, the truth is, after much thought and discussion we decided to give it a serious go.  

And I'm not kidding you when I say that in 2 weeks time I feel different in a good way.  It's sort of amazing actually what a strict diet of fruits and veggies can do for a person.  I have noticed that I feel fuller faster but am eating much smaller portion sizes.  I have also noticed that I immediately feel sick from eating a few french fries.  The other night we went out for Mexican food before we saw the play, Mary Poppins, and I can't tell you how ill I felt from the heaviness.  

I thought I might hold myself even more accountable if I record our vegan adventure on the blarg.  So, that's the plan.  If anyone has any vegan thoughts, comments or recipes they'd like to share...I would LOVE it.  If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.  If anyone wants any recipes from below I'd love to share.  If I stumble upon anything DELICIOUS I will make sure to post the recipes here. 

So to start, here is our menu from last week:

Monday:
Lunch-Hummus and Veggie Pitas
Dinner-Quinoa Confetti Salad

Tuesday:
Lunch-Lunch Club with my friends! We had salads, fresh pesto and homemade peasant bread, homemade salsa and vegan  cupcakes for dessert.. Recipes can be found here.

Dinner-Ate out at Red Iguana

Wednesday:
Lunch-Hummus with fresh veggies and Quinoa Confetti Salad
Dinner- Carrot and Red Pepper Soup and Quinoa Confetti Salad

Thursday:
Lunch-Hummus with fresh veggies
Dinner-Fresh Tomatoes and Basil from the Millcreek farmers market and Southern Beans with Kale

Friday:
Lunch-Homemade tortilla chips with fresh salsa
Dinner-Ate out at CousCous Mediterranean Grill

Saturday:
Lunch-Curried Lentil Soup and Southern Beans with Kale
Dinner-Veggie Stir-Fry with Brown Rice

Sunday
Lunch-Veggie Burgers {no bun}
Dinner-Stuffed Red Peppers

As for snacks from last week:
We ate a lot of dry popcorn.  And once we tried sprinkling Nutritional Yeast on top but it sort of just weirded us out.  We also made Tofu Chocolate Raspberry Mousse (gross), Tofu Berry Mousse (grosser) and melted Vegan Cheese on Homemade Tortilla Chips (grossest). 

Our favorite recipe from last week:
{This excludes the DELICIOUS food that my friends made at our lunch club.  I suggest you make ALL of those.}

Southern Beans and Kale

Ingredients:
-1 cup vegetable broth or water
-3 cups drained, cooked or canned beans {your choice of any kind} *We used white beans and pinto beans
-1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
-4 cups chopped, fresh kale, stems and center ribs removed, lightly packed
-1 teaspoon olive oil
-salt, to taste
-black pepper, to taste
-Tabasco sauce, to taste *We like a lot

Directions:
Combine beans, broth or water, and garlic in a large saucepan.  Place chopped kale on top of beans and bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until kale is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in oil, salt, black pepper, Tabasco sauce to taste.

Nutrition Facts:
Per 1-cup serving
Calories: 219  Calories from Fat 7.8%

8 comments:

Ty and Meg said...

I think it is awesome that you are doing this. I can imagine that being vegan, even for pretend, is a lot of work. But being conscious of what goes in your mouth is really awesome and important. It drives me nuts when people say I COULD NEVER DO THAT! Because that is a load of crap. You can do whatever you want if you care enough about your health. So good for you. I hope it is everything you dreamed it would be. Also, when you need a delicious vegan snack Whole Foods has the most amazing mini chocolate cakes in the bakery. I don't think they are gluten free but you and C could share it. They are $6 and totally amazing. I was blown away that they were vegan. You should try one. Fo real yo.

Jack said...

Oh man, I wouldn know where to start. Good for you and I am interested in reading about how it goes! One question, why vegan? I mean, meat isn't bad in moderation right? And you can buy organic or grass fed or free range or whatever. Just curious. I want to be more conscious of where our food comes from, but it gets overwhelming and expensive sometimes. Also, where will you buy produce when farmers market closes? Is whole foods the best place to find healthy/vegan/organic food food? Have you guys been losing weight (pretty sure I would if I ate like that!)? I think it is cool when people really try to change something that is bothering them in their lives. It takes guts, work and commitment that most people don't have, so props to you.

Melanie said...

This is awesome! I want all of your recipes. Especially the Quinoa Confetti Salad. Do you make your hummus or buy it? My fave is Sabra brand and I've made it before but it didn't even come close to good.

Michelle T-C said...

I have a bunch of really great vegan and gluten free dishes that I love. Should I email?

Trent Lisonbee said...

I wish I could do something similar... I like how you say you FEEL better and when you eat junk food you feel crappy. I wan't that! I hate that I feel wonderful after drinking 4 cans of Sprite and a BigMac meal... That's gotta change...

Trav and Lizzie said...

So proud, miss skinny.

I'm A. said...

Jack-We chose to go vegan {and gluten-free} because I personally need strict guidelines. I have tried in the past to say "I will eat healthy". But, I end up failing every time. With Veganism, I know I can only eat fruits and veggies, beans, quoina, things like that. There is no getting around it and in turn EVERYTHING we eat is healthy and low in calories. I do love meat and it is definitly ok in moderation. But for me, like I said, it's easier for me to just cut those things that I crave. I want to reshape my eating habits. Later, when I'm where I want to be with weight and my regular diet I will add meat and cheese back into my diet in moderation.

This winter we will buy our produce from Whole Foods or Harmons, both have great produce. We will also be buying a lot of our produce from the Utah Coop which has local, organic produce at a great price. I will write more about that on the blog in the very near future.

Besides feeling better I have lost some weight, which in turn makes the lifestyle change a lot more gratifying and motivating.

Melanie-I will post the Quoina recipe on the blog for you. And yes, I make my own hummus but the store bought stuff is way better.

Michelle-YES PLEASE! You are the best.

CyberHellMage said...

That tshirt made me laugh hard! =)