Friday, May 13, 2011

The Delicate Dance.

first, i create a cozy spot by bunching the down comforter on our bed into a little, caroline sized, nest. warm, snugly blanket on all sides.

a fluffy pillow is placed strategically along the left side so c's back will nestle against it.

soft, warm sleep blanket goes next, on top of the cozy nest so that when caroline is placed upon it the blanket can be folded over her feet, across her tummy, over her head so that only her face peeks out.

lights are dimmed.

over head fan is turned on.

noise machine hums.

i've made the call to the local fire department..."all sirens OFF for the next two hours".

sign placed over the doorbell: "ring this and die".

i place caroline in her nap time nest, then i lie next to her and feed her until she falls asleep. this can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 7 hours. the child likes her all-you-can-eat-endless-buffet.

but today fortune is on my side. she drifts asleep after 20 minutes. i now spend the next 10 minutes extricating myself away from her, inch by excruciating inch.

i tiptoe from the room.

gently close the door.

do a silent happy dance down the hall.

pour myself a diet coke.

settle onto the couch.

headphones in. i'm going to catch up on last night's tv.

hit play...show is loading...

and caroline starts to cry from the bedroom.

end scene.

5 comments:

McBride Fam said...

Today I actually said these words to my mom "My kids are ruining my life." enough said.

Barb @ getupandplay said...

I remember those days. It gets better!

Marcus and Amy said...

I can't think of anything to say, other then, I was frustrated right there with you while reading this. And at least you had a diet coke! ;)

Meg said...

HA. Naughty C baby. You are too soft. :) ha KIDDING. Come to my house. I will hold her while she naps and you drink DC. And feed me some too.

k.k. chamberlain said...

"RING THIS AND DIE." LOL! You are my favorite. It sounds to me, though, like you are actually getting a cute little nap routine down. Costco=amazing. Pita chips are the bomb. And I knew we were meant to be friends ... because I could eat those gouda+apple sausages every other day. (On the off day, I will go for the tomato+feta.)