Monday, January 11, 2010

The overly long Food, Inc. post...

b and i watched food, inc this weekend. twice. i had heard about it before but after katie reminded me of it we went out and rented it. watched it. then showed it to our parents. we. were. horrified.i could go on and on about this movie. but i think EVERYONE should watch it for themselves. i wish i could go out and buy all my friends and family members a copy. it needs to be seen.
*
a few things about the movie that really opened my eyes...
*
-i have NEVER thought about what process a mcdonalds hamburger must go through to make every, single mcdonalds hamburger anywhere in the world taste exactly the same
*
-it has also never occurred to me before that maybe a hamburger isn't made up of just one cow but instead can have literally a thousand different animals ground into that one patty
*
-this guy, who owns polyface farms was completely inspiring. his website makes we wish i lived in virginia or maryland. i would buy meat from this guy for the rest of my life.
like i said...i could go on and on and on about all the eye-opening moments in the movie. but instead, i will just say...WATCH IT.
*
after watching, b and i decided to do some research about possibly making some big changes to where and how we purchase our food.
*
we came across a lot of local farms and ranches that you can order produce and meat from and they will deliver it to your home, or a location near your home, weekly. some that we really liked were...
*
Bar 10 Beef. i am trying to cut back on meat this year and i still plan to do so. however, i enjoy meat and my husband lives for it. i think ordering fresh beef or chicken would help me to feel better about it. i just usually walk away from eating meat of any kind feeling lethargic and gross. a lot of that could have to do with the absolutely disgusting way that meat is raised, slaughtered and prepared in our country. it's not a healthy option and it's definitely not appealing.
*
the bar t0 beef website states:
*
All Natural, Grass Fed Beef
Bar 10 Beef offers Gourmet All Natural Grass Fed Beef that is free of hormones, antibiotics and pesticides. At the Bar 10 Ranch, our cattle graze on 250,000 acres of open range. Once selected for our beef program, they are taken to our grass farm where they are turned out to graze on a wide variety of high-quality grasses. The end result is delicious, healthy, nutritious beef from our family to yours.
*
Quality
Once our animals have reached their optimum weight, they are processed in a humane and low-stress facility. Our beef is Dry-Aged anywhere from 14 to 21 days providing you with a gourmet product that is only found in high-end restaurants and custom butcher shops, this in not beef that you will find at your local grocery store.
*
click the link to read more. i was sold.
*
like i said, i could live my life with little or maybe even no meat. but for b, that is just not an option. he is allergic to most food that people eat everyday such as wheat, flour, eggs, nuts and melons. meat to him is a huge part of his diet. i think ordering meat from a local ranch is a much better option than continuing to buy what is available at the local grocery store.
*
we also really liked borski organic farms that are located in kaysville, utah. for $200 a season (late june - october) for two adults you can have fresh, organic, locally grown, pesticide free fruits, veggies and herbs delivered on a weekly basis. they pick the produce that morning, choosing whatever is the most fresh and you pick it up from a nearby location.
*
these are just two options out of MANY. utah's buy local first website is a great resource.
*
i also have been impressed and inspired by friends who have taken steps to ensure that the food their families eat is healthy and safe. katrina and katie have made me want to completely change the way i eat. marci just joined a food co-op. i think that is so awesome!
*
so, this was a long post. but, what i really want to know is what you think! have you made any changes to the way you eat? have you had success? or does it just feel impossible? anyone done a co-op or anything similar and if so how did you like it? tell me your secrets because i know for a fact that you all are smarter than me at this stuff. :)
*
and as a side note...does anyone know how to make pizza dough that tastes good and that does not have flour or egg in it? (i know...long shot.)

6 comments:

Meg said...

Oh man I so want to change the way we eat too. You will have to share everything you learn with me because I am overwhelmed and don't know how to do it. We will have to go get this movie. I know Portland has a lot of local options so I am going to try and make the change.

Kate said...

YES don't you love that farmer dude?! So so happy you liked the movie and had that same desire I did to share it with people and change the way we get our food. It's a rough journey, BUT the only way to stick it to the man is to go against them and show them through our purchases (money speaks) that we want organic, we want farm fresh, we want unadulterated food! I am writing a post to answer some of the questions I've received (including yours). Thanks for the comment. I'd like to hear more about your journey and if you are cool about it I may ask you to share you experience on my food blog in the next few months. I'll give you more info on that later. Anyways, now that I've written a short novel as a comment I will let you be.

PEACE.

Katrina said...

I have a yummy pizza crust recipe that is simple and easy. No egg but it does have flour. Can you use a non-wheat flour?

I'm A. said...

Maybe corn or rice flour? Would that work? See how clueless I am! :)

Barb @ getupandplay said...

Good for you! We are slowly changing the way we eat, too. Having a baby is such great motivation- I was much more careful when I was pregnant about what I ate and I'm mindful of what we give Charlie to eat, too.

Thanks for sharing these resources!

Dustin and Whit said...

im trying as well, its so hard. As of last week, I have cut out most processed meat, most dairy, most red meat, soda, and excess sugar. i say "most" because I have given in here and there. I was put on an herbal regimen as well by a homeopathic therapist to help my body absorb the vital nutrients I may be lacking from pregnancy and nursing so that I can do it again soon! so I am drinking lots of hemp and herbal tea and hating it. I miss diet coke, I don't think this will last long but I least i can say I tried! if i have any brilliant ideas I will let you know. I just started reading The Thrive Diet by Brenden Brazier which is a great source of natural, healthy eating- like i said, I don't think it will last long ;) Good Luck1!!!