Thursday, May 7, 2009

Listen to me...

do NOT see this movie. do NOT. after seeing this movie i have come to three different conclusions...
*
01. i will never again see a movie with matthew mcconaughey in it.
02. jennifer garner has absolutely zero redeeming qualities. i'm done with her.
03. i'm done with chick flicks as well...except for EXTREME exceptions.
*
is it so impossible to make a good chick flick? is it? this is the best that the people in hollywood can come up with? would it be possible for a romantic comedy to be created where you don't find yourself wishing that every, single character in the movie would just spontaneously bust into flames and die right there in the middle of the movie? one with even a SLIGHTLY plausible script? one that doesn't seem to absolutely loathe women?
*
b and i started talking about chick flicks when we finally escaped from the hell that was ghosts of girlfriends past. we were trying to think of a good chick flick that has come out in the last 10 years. and the ones we thought of aren't even technically chick flicks... knocked up, dan in real life...uhh....ummm....and then we couldn't think of anymore. {except i sort of liked legally blonde, my big fat greek wedding, sweet home alabama and how to lose a guy in 10 days.}
*
basically, pretty much, all the goodISH chick flicks were made before 2000...like french kiss {my all time favorite}, you've got mail, notting hill, my best friend's wedding, before sunrise, while you were sleeping, it could happen to you, sleepless in seattle, father of the bride, pretty women, dirty dancing....
*
ok, i'm getting bored. but you get the idea.

6 comments:

Meg said...

I agree! Boo. What has happened to chick flicks? But I do have one good one I can think of...but it is getting old now...but I love Two Weeks Notice. But other than that I really can't think of many. I think I need to go buy French Kiss this weekend. I LOVE that one. Now I want to go watch all the old ones that I love.

Barb @ getupandplay said...

I was going to mention How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days as a good one, so I'm glad you included that. And I have to disagree with you on Never Been Kissed. The sheer awkwardness of Josie Grossie makes it awesome.

Who is making these movies? Who do they think they are making them for? 11 year old girls who don't know what real life is?

Marcus and Amy said...

I like about 80% of the movies that you mentioned - I enjoy a movie that you don't have to really think a lot about....but would prefer a comedy over a chick flick! I LOVE French Kiss! I also liked the newer Sabrina the one with Harrison Ford.

Anyway...

I was goiing to go see Ghosts of Girlfriends past - maybe I will just wait until it comes out on video.

manwaringfam said...

I just have to say one thing though. I could watch anything with Matthew McCoaughey. I think he may be the yummiest yummiest yummiest actor on the planet. Period. Sorry, I think I'll be renting that one! :) (just to see his muscles because I am sure there is a scene with his shirt off...)

Katrina said...

love actually! one of my faves.

I'm A. said...

Yeah, Love Actually is great. I agree. Also agree that McCoaughney is extremely hot.