Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I am at a loss for a title to this post. So I will just call this one...Please Stop Snowing. Please! Please? ... Umph.

life has been a little emotional lately. my little brother, who is actually 19 years old {!}, leaves on his mission a week from today. two whole years of being trent-less. i am not quite sure how i will cope with this yet. i know people do this everyday but from this side of things i don't know how.

and last week i was called as the young women's president in my ward. my first response was... "me?!". i am feeling overwhelmed and inadequate at being the kind of leader that those girls deserve. i hope i have something to give them that only i can. i have VERY big shoes to fill. i know i will have lots of help. and my presidency is full of amazing women. i am so grateful to be a member of this church.

as i sat in a training last night with the general young women's presidency, and listened to sister dalton, i was overcome with the importance of what i am about to do. i do not take this responsibility lightly.

and then i came to work this morning and read nienie. nienie makes me feel like i can do better every, single day. she posted a link to a clip from one of my all time favorite talks. it was by president dieter f. uchdorf from last years general relief society meeting. you can read the whole thing here. i think i needed to see this today:

11 comments:

Meg said...

You are amazing and strong and creative and you will be a fabulous YW president. I know exactly why they chose you and I am not surprised in the least. You will be exactly what those girls need. And hopefully together we can figure out how to cope without Trent. You are my best siser and I luf you.

Marcus and Amy said...

Andrea - you will be a fabulous YW president! I felt the same way when they called me to be Beehive advisor - I felt totally inadequate to be teaching these girls who are entering a totally confusing, emotional, peer -pressured, life changing, influential (I could go on and on) time in their lives. But like you, I remembered what great YW leaders and presidency's we had when we were in YW and although yes they are big shoes to fill, I knew I wanted to have the kind of impact on these girls that my leaders had on me.

You will be great! Challenging as it may be, you will love it! Activities, lessons, personal progress and GIRLS CAMP! (Ours is in July and I am a little nervous already!)

Congrats! And thanks for the spiritual message!

Katie A. said...

congrats andrea!! we are in the same boat! little bro. going on a mission (although mine has left) and twenty-something YW pres. it is intense, that is for sure, but you will be awesome. i've been in for a little over a year. i am glad that you have a great presidency because that is SO important. you will have a blast for sure! aren't we too young for this?

Jen said...

Those are some lucky girls and you are a lucky lady - trust me, I know! Just FYI: they are super quiet, but that doesn't mean they aren't listening. They will love you!

Ali said...

I was going to post the same video thanks to Nie Nie. It totally gave me chills.

You will be the most dedicated, loving and trusted YW President. Those girls are so fortunate.

Ruth said...

I have to say I am SOO jealous of your position right now, but thrilled all the same. This is going to be great for the girls and they will love you. I just know it. Loves...

bets said...

oh andrea, if you only knew how fabulous you will be. you are someone i completely look up to-your taste, your style, the way you write, everything. those girls' lives are going to improve ten times over just because you are there. it's totally scary but just throw yourself into it and you will be amazing. just be yourself. and thanks so so much for the video clip-i so needed it today. i remember seeing that last year and absolutely loving it because none of the apostles have ever really said anything like it and i feel like it totally applies to me. and p.s. can we PLEASE play when i come home? i've been wanting to hang out with you forever. email me your phone number (betsyclegg@hotmail.com) and we will plan something delicious.

kliso said...

PROUD AS CAN BE! No surprise here, I am sure that this calling is totality inspired and that they picked the right woman for the job. You have a gift to be able to help those in need and I know the lord called you for this purpose. He said to you "You will work with the youth to help them gain strong testimonies of the Gospel and even the mothers so that they may be pillars of strength in their homes." I have no doubt that you will influence these young girls for the rest of their lives. I love you so much and am so proud of you. Your ever loving dad.

Meg said...

And you say Dad never comments on your blog. : )

Tiffany said...

You. Will. Be. Marvelous. I have no doubt.

Anne, Ryan and Emily said...

I am so excited for you to serve as the YW president. Although it will at times be challenging, I know you will love it and love the girls. I know you'll do a great job.