Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Terrariums

i have always wanted to make a terrarium. this incredible terrarium by paula hayes was what initially inspired me. {after making my own i realize how incredibly difficult something like this must be to create. trust me. wow.}

tonight, for some fun, we decided to make our. first we took a quick trip to target to pick up these containers: {in hind sight i wish we had bought a bigger size}

then we went to home depot to get potting soil, rocks, moss and plants. i wasn't incredibly impressed with their indoor plant selection. next time i will go to a florist or maybe even buy plants online.

first we filled the containers with the small rocks:

next sphagnum moss:


then potting soil:

then i added the plants. i had to do a lot of trimming to make them fit:

i stole a few rocks from the neighbors yard and voila...here is the finished product:




*just a tip...i would suggest not creating terrariums in your living room {trust me} but to each their own.

10 comments:

Katrina said...

How fun! But what do you do once the get taller than the top of the container? Just leave the lid off?

Tiffany said...

Those are FANTASTIC! My Ryan has always wanted to build a terrarium, but I always tell him it is too hard. Shame on me. :)

e said...

You are quite talented. :)Do you have to pick special terrarium plants?

Anne said...

They are so cool. I might steal your idea!

liz said...

cool andrea! i might need to get some "very small rocks" and create my own.

Jon and Briana said...

that is so awesome I totally want to make one! I love it!

Tyler and Megan Scott said...

I TOTALLY love your blog! Thanks for being inspiring and uplifting and all of the things I search for in a blog. FANKS! : )

love.boxes said...

Those are just beautiful! :)

I'm Andrea said...

Katrina...I guess I will either have to keep trimming the plants, or take the lids off. We should have bought larger containers in the first place. Next time... :)

lisa said...

Those turned out really cute!