Tuesday, July 17, 2007

La Tour etc.

my oh my how time flys. four years ago, right around this time, i was in europe. france to be exact. emily and i found ourselves in paris on the last day of la tour de france. what are the chances? we dragged our very tired butts out of bed and made our way to the champs elysées to watch the riders make their final laps. the bikers zipped past us in a whir of color. so exciting! the atmosphere was electric. we were surrounded by tour fans from all over the world. we cheered along with the crowd and felt a real sense of pride as our team, lead by lance, raced by us. i get a little teary just thinking about it. {although, that may be my desire to get OUT of utah more than my love for bike races.}here we are at the start of our journey. just two silly {jet lagged} girls with no money, no sense of direction and no plan. we felt very grown up and cool. aren't we cute. we had just spent our first night in europe. we slept above a bar called durty nellys in the red light district of amsterdam. we shared a room with about 15 guys. because we are classy.and then off to belgium we went. we stayed in a tinsy town called brugges. we woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside our window and cathedral bells ringing in the distance. life was good. when in belgium, let me recommend belgium waffles for breakfast. so good that your soul will soar through the clouds on the back of a white unicorn.

and then paris to get unbelievably lost in the middle of the night. our train got in around midnight. we wandered the rainy streets of paris for hours trying to find our hostel. one thing we did stumble upon however, was the eiffel tower, which lit up the night sky and gave us the strength to press onward.

here i am in front of the louvre. i cried 1,378 times that day. seeing that art in person is pretty overwhelming in a totally awesome way. switzerland turned out to be the love of my life. here is why:emily and i road a train to the top of the alps.and then i para-sailed off the edge, because i'm cool. check out those glacier lakes. breathtaking. and then we went to italy. they loved us there.i love italy. the end.

13 comments:

Em said...

Man, that makes me sad. We must, must, must go back...NOW. But you forgot our tour of the Sound of Music in Austria. I know it really made an impact on us both. hee hee.

Robin said...

*My eyebrows furrowing in jealousy.*
What a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Or more-than-once, if you have extra chances, and money!

sarah said...

Aww, that makes me miss Europe. And Brugge was one of my favorites.

tiff said...

Love the pictures and commentary. I've never been to Europe, and this makes me ache for the experience even more.

jamieanne said...

Get out! I can't believe you were there during the tour. What a thrill!

Katie said...

aren't you glad you can say that you did that? the rest of us just dream.

Barb said...

green.with.jealousy.

Estella Baker said...

I AM SOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS! What a fun time you must have had! I've been to Switzerland but no where else in Europe (though I've been to Japan countless times :))

Sarah said...

i remember when you guys went, four years, what!! wow time has flown. lots of change, but i still can't believe its been 4 years. i am so glad you got to do that - what a great trip!

Sarah said...

I love these photos! Look slike you had a blast.

Ali Flegal said...

I saw the bus for the Sound of Music tour! Ha ha ha, how was it? Still, even though this is an insanely cool post, I can't get over the one I read previous to it about your traumatic injuries. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Emily said...

Mmmm! Mouth currently watering about those belgian waffles. And lots of wander lust coursing through my veins. Thanks for sharing this exquisite photo-log.

Rachel said...

Wow! The trip of my dreams. Looks like such a blast!