Monday, June 4, 2007

two wildly different films. both great.

i recently saw the film, Paris, je t'aime. it is beautiful. i loved this film so very much. shot entirely in paris, it consists of 18 short films, all directed by different people, each about a different love story. if you get the chance, see it. see it see it see it. it will make you happy and it will make you laugh and it will make you cry and it will remind you how lovely and sweet life can be.
*
and then, this weekend i saw the movie knocked up. it whole-heartedly earns its 'r' rating with endless crude jokes (although hilarious), some serious marijuana smoking, very adult situations and baaad language. but, at the same time, it is rare to find a comedy that so brilliantly combines geek humor with chick flick heart. the characters and situations in this movie are so real. and i have not laughed this hard for ages. so, if you can handle the edginess of the film, i very highly recommend it. it is hilarious and sweet at the same time.
*
and, i must add, that i loved the female role in the film. katherine heigl plays alison, a gorgeous and very successful single women who finds herself pregnant after a one night stand. you might predict that if a women with a promising career found herself in this situation she would take the abortion route, not wanting to ruin her career, her freedom, her body. but, alison opts to keep the baby, sacrificing all that she has worked for for the more important, albeit wildly unexpected turn that her life has taken. and she chooses not only to keep her baby, but to also try and make it work with the guy. she faces her mistakes and sets about making things right.
*
the end of the film is more heart warming and sweet than you could even imagine. so, i give knocked up: 5 gold stars, 2 thumbs up, 7 plastic trophy's.

8 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for the recap. I'm curioius to see it.

Barb said...

It sounds like a good one! Interesting fact: I was reading an interview about Katherine Heigl and she's reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, too! Funny coincidence!

Anonymous said...

Your review of 'Knocked Up' said exactly what I was thinking. I really loved this movie.

-Sherri

tiffany said...

Can't wait to see both! Thanks for the review.

Sarah said...

I saw the preview of Knocked Up and thought it looked pretty funny. Sometimes I need some good old bubblegum for my brain and this looks pretty perfect!

madelyn said...

I am not sure if you know me, we met a couple of times a few years ago as my husband (Cody Roberts) and Claire Hays were good friends. I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog that I found through Barb, and that I totally agree with your review of "knocked up". Though it does have terrible language I am willing to bear it because it is not everyday that I find a movie that I laugh out loud in as much as I did in "Knocked Up". I thought that even though there were some crude jokes, language, and marijuana use the main feeling of the movie was up-beat and feel-good. Anyway, thanks for letting me tag along on your blog. I love all the links, too.

-Madelyn Roberts

Emily said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog...er...that you found mine, or however this blog-connection happened. I am most excited to try these movie recommendations that you've made.

Barb said...

I loved it, too! It was freakin' hilarious and so real. I appreciated so much a romantic comedy that didn't assume that the audience was mildly retarded. The characters were real- they had huge flaws but that made them endearing and believable!