Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Mix it up.

there is an interesting article on npr by editor stephen thompson, who was asked to compile a mix cd for his niece's wedding. he writes about making the cd, and you can listen to his finished wedding-day mix online here.
*
i think making a good mix cd is an art of sorts, and one that i have never been good at. have you seen the movie, high fidelity? it is one of my favorites. in the final lines of the film rob {john cusack} talks about what goes into making the perfect mix cd {or tape}. "the making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. you gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. there are a lot of rules."
*
what songs do you think should be included on the perfect wedding mix? or even just a mix cd for the person you love most?

11 comments:

Carole said...

Oh, I love this question. Look some of these up.

Iron & Wine - Love and some verses
Nick Drake - Northern Sky
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Ben Folds - Luckiest
Harry Connick Jr. - Where or When
Ben Taylor - I Will

These are a couple we used:)

alyson. said...

what?! you're not planning to do the dirty dancing song and dance routine? ;)

here's a few of my suggestions:
come away with me - norah jones
destiny - zero 7
beloved one - ben harper
cheek to cheek - ella fitzgerald
and I always love
unforgettable - nat king cole

Sarah said...

Oh my! What a question!
Yes, definitely Ben Folds - The Luckiest
Pixies - La La Love You
Dolly & Kenny - Islands in the Stream
Pretty much anything by Frank
Harry Connick Jnr - We Are in Love.
Hmmm, I think I'm going to put something together for you... just to give you some ideas!

I'm Andrea said...

good suggestions from all of you! :) thank you thank you. and sarah, you are the BEST. love you.

tiffany said...

After falling in love with iTunes (albeit, about 100 years after everyone else) I have had fun coming up with new compilations to burn on CDs for the car. I don't think I'm very good at it, but I really like the High Fidelity quote. I think that is a very good formula!

Katrina said...

For my wedding, I made a mixed cd for all the guests. It really did take way longer than I thought it would, but I am so happy with how it turned out, especially because all the songs have meaning to my husband and me.
Shoot, I was going to send you the list, but don't have it on this computer...

Melissa Stringham said...

The most favorite mix I have ever made was a mix of 70's superhits: "Leaving On a Jet Plane", "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "Miss American Pie", "Even Though we Ain't Got Money", "Daniel", etc. I downloaded them for free in the days when Napster was free and somewhat legal. Anyway, the reason I love it is not because I love 70's music, but because everytime we put it in the CD player, Jack and I can't help but sing along at the top of our lungs to all of the songs. It always makes me in a good mood.

Robin said...

Songs I plan on using for my future wedding are: (because they are so romantic but not cheesy or over-used)
Oh - Dave Matthews
Forever - Ben Harper
Look After You - The Fray

maggienikole said...

oooh, i love the new banner! now back to reading this post.

I'm Andrea said...

Katrina, find the mix pretty please! :) I would love to hear it. Thank you Maggie. And thanks everyone else for your great suggestions.

Claire said...

Love your blog. Gotta add my faves. I played these at my wedding:

I Will Love You - Fisher
First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
Family Tree - Ben Kweller
Hotel Yorba - White Stripes
Til the Stars Turn Blue - Ryan Adams