Monday, May 7, 2007

weekend.

i had the incredible experience this weekend of celebrating the life and brilliant work of yuri elizondo. his friends and family traveled from far and wide to come together and create an amazing reception honoring him. claire and i arrived in l.a. on thursday afternoon and were immediately whisked away to the rented studio space in venice beach where the reception would be held. we were treated like family and i felt so grateful to be a part of this time of great sadness, but also great joy and celebration for the life that yuri had led.

with the help of many of yuri's incredibly talented family and friends they transformed the rented studio into an art gallery that showcased much of his work. i am so lucky to have known him like i did and i will miss him dearly. his work can be seen at yurielizondo.com.


i made it home in time to see my sister graduate from college on saturday with a degree in journalism / pr / communications / something / or / another. hooray for her! graduating is the best! i remember being so proud and excited at my graduation last year. although, i must say, those graduation ceremonies are L to the ONG. {that's LONG.}

{brother is looking slightly perturbed at having just spent the last 12 hours of his life sitting through a graduation ceremony. amen brother. amen.}

saturday night was the most exciting jazz game {basketball for those unfamiliar} i have ever seen. it was not the jazz game so much as just watching my brother-in-law tyler almost explode from excitement. i have never seen such a display in all my years.

and lastly, but certainly not leastly, my birthday was sunday. the day was spent lounging at the parents house with family and friends, eating, playing games. perfect. thanks to all for your kind birthday wishes.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Happy (belated) birthday!

I just now have had a chance to get caught up on reading things and just now discovered your loss. *big hugs* My thoughts are with you now and going forward. It is so hard to lose someone you love and you clearly loved your dear friend. *warm thoughts*

Barb said...

Andrea- Your tender heart is what makes you so lovable and genuine. I'm so sorry, again, about your friend. Lots of love your way, friend.

M said...

I knew Yuri years ago and just found out he passed away. I found out when I was searching for him online. Can you tell me what happened?

I'd appreciate any information you could give me.