Tuesday, April 24, 2007

farewells.

'we do not remember days,
we remember moments.'
-cesare pavese
when my grandpa died, my mom had us each write a note to him. we drew bright, crayola pictures and wrote how much we loved him in our shaky, 7-year-old handwriting. she then took us to the local party store and let us pick out the biggest, roundest, happiest balloons we could find. we gently slid our notes into the balloons and then watched as the man behind the counter inflated the balloons with helium. "bigger!", i said to the man, "this balloon has a long way to go!"

we walked to the park, hand in hand, with our message-carriers bouncing around in the sky above our heads. and then, all together, we released the balloons and shouted our farewells as we watched them grow smaller and smaller as they made their way to heaven.

i was remembering this moment today and thinking about how sometimes, no matter how badly it hurts, sometimes its just time to say goodbye. just wanted to share.
{photograph by jessie p. those pink balloons were released for a little girl named ava.}

6 comments:

Em said...

Don't make me cry at work! That is such a cool memory.

Barb said...

How sweet and touching! Thanks for sharing that with us.

alyson. said...

that is probably one of the sweetest things I've read in a while. actually, I read it once, then read it again to my boyfriend, and almost got a tear in my eye. what an touching memory!

ali said...

Darling. My friend Becky did this for her little baby girl.

jamieanne said...

What a sweet memory you have to carry with you. I love it.

ali said...

p.s. I think some of this post played out in my post today. Funny how all the things you read come together, and how we can open up one another's thoughts and memories, and bounce ideas around.

So, thank you for the inspiration. As usual....